La Salle Competition Band Finishes First at 2013 Cavalcade of Bands Jazz Championships
The La Salle College High School Competition Band finished in First Place at the 2013 Cavlcade of Bands Jazz Championships. Over 50 high school bands compete throughout the season with 35 bands divided into 4 divisions competing at the Cavalcade Championships.
The La Salle Competition Band won The Duke Ellington Division which was comprised of the highest scoring bands throughout the year. The Competition Band received a rating of "Superior with Honors" while also winning the awards for "Best Sight-Reading Band" and "Best Trumpet Section". The Competition Band won the "Best Trumpet Section" award at every contest this year and at 25 out of 27 contests over the last 4 years. La Salle Senior Christopher Mele '13 also won an "Outstanding Soloist" award.
The Competition Jazz Band, directed by Mr. Joseph Vettori, is comprised of:
- Saxophones: Daniel DeBrakeleer '13, Joseph Miller '16, Kevin Gay '14, Timothy McAuliffe '14, Martin Zefelippo '13
- Trumpets: Griffin Ripley '13, Sean MacIntosh '13, Joseph Dallas '16, Pat May '13, Anthony Mercader '13
- Trombones: Christopher Mele '13, Mark Chandler '13, Michael Zajac '16, Harrison Schultz '15, Preston Murray '14
- Rhythm Section: Kevin Blanke '14, Griffin Brown '14, Colin Weber '13, John Tyrrell '13, Patrick Tice-Carroll '16, Christopher Jastrzembski '14
La Salle's Lab Band received an "Outstanding" rating and won the "Best Trumpet Section" award in the Woody Herman Division of the Cavlacade Championships. The Lab Band, directed by Mr. Dennis Wasko, is comprised of:
- Saxophones: Ralph DiLemmo '15, Sean Furgiuele '14, William Muehlberger '15, Stephene Schmitz , James Durkin '15, Timothy McElroy '14, Levi Davis '14, Christian Hoban '15, Thomas McGeehan '14
- Trumpets: John Meko '16, Edward Devlin '15, Edward Goebel '16, Kevin Finnegan '14, David Keeton '15, Nicholas Parkes '16, Thomas Schmitz '14
- Trombones: Thomas Tracey '16, Owen Lanphear '16, Colin O'Malley '15, Patrick McEntee '16, Nicholas Sontag '15
- Rhythm Section: Connor Martin '14, Aaron Carrerras '13, Miles Burger '16, Benjamin Weiss '15, Connor Lavelle '13