De La Salle Blackfeet Immersion
Dates: Group 1: July 28 - August 3, 2013
Group 2: August 4 - August 10, 2013
Size: 12 students per session
Cost: $1500: $300 Application Fee (non-refundable if accepted); Minimum $1200 Fund Raising (Individual & Group) per person
Application Deadline: November 21, 2012
Contact: Mr.Joe Parisi and Mr. Tom Devlin
De La Salle Blackfeet Overview
The Lasallian world extends far beyond the campus of 8605 Cheltenham AVE. This trip is an opportunity for students to live, work and learn about De La Salle Blackfeet School on the Blackfeet Reservation in Browning, Montana. De La Salle Blackfeet School is part of a network of over 60 San Miguel schools run by the De La Salle Christian Brothers to serve at risk youth and transform their lives through education. De La Salle Blackfeet is the only San Miguel school in a rural setting and the first to serve primarliy Native Americans. Students will have the opportunity to live at a volunteer bunks at the school, participate in service projects at the school and around the Reservation and learn about and from the people of the Blackfeet Reservation through personal encounters and culural experiences. Please visit the school's website to learn more about the school and their mission.
De La Salle Blackfeet Website
- Through our work make a visible and positive impact on De La Salle Blackfeet School and the people of the Blackfeet Reservation.
- To reflect upon and develop a better understanding of the social, political, economic, religious and cultural aspects of life for people living on the Blackfeet Reservation in the21st Century.
To gain an understanding of Catholic Social Teaching through interaction with and direct service to the people of the region.
- To integrate insights gained during the service experience with their own lives through group discussions and written reflection.
- Attend and participate in all pre-trip orientation sessions
- Participate in Letter Writing fund raising activity, sending a minimum of eight (8) letters requesting support
- Participate in a Parish Fundraising Campain
- Participate in all other group related fund raising activities
- Prepare with a small group of students, one dinner during the trip for the entire group
- Prepare and Lead with other assigned students, one morning prayer session and one evening prayer reflection
Criteria For Selection The program is open to any current junior who is good academic and disciplinary standing. The primary criterion is expressed interest in the objectives and aims of the program.
Fees and Expenses
The total cost of the trip is approximately $1500 per student. As outlined above, there will be an application fee of $300; an expectation of $1200 in fund-raising.
The cost of the trip is all inclusive of transportation, lodging, meals, and program related materials.
The following costs are not covered and will be the responsibility of the student: Personal Spending money; Meal money for travel days (meals in the airport, rest stops, etc...).