La Salle Crew to Row in the 86th Annual Stotesbury Cup Regatta
The La Salle College High School Crew will participate in the 86th annual Stotesbury Cup Regatta on Friday, May 17 and Saturday, May 18, 2013 on the Schuylkill River. The Stotesbury Cup Regatta is the oldest and largest high school regatta in the country. There are a total of 969 entered boats, representing 194 US and Canadian high school programs, from 141 cities and 12 states.
La Salle will be entering:
- Boys Senior 8 - The program’s flagship crew of Pat Shafer, Joe Pinnola-Vizza, Andrew Schutta, Mike Fox, Tom Walker, Andrew Barnish, Jake Ford, Adam Wisniowski and Tyler Little look to show their best speed of the season on the biggest high school stage. In addition to local rivals St. Joe’s Prep and St. Augustine’s Prep, the V8 will face national powerhouse crews like Gonzaga, St. Albans, Bethesda Chevy-Chase, James Madison & Ridley College (Canada) among the 38 crews entered.
- Boys Second 8 - The crew of John Breslin, Shea O’Neill, Mike Savage, Tim Bontempi, Matt Morozzi, Kevin Lindsay, Carlos Diaz, Scott Serpico and Matt Brecht look to follow their decisive City Championship win with a medal effort against the nation’s best 2v’s. Competition to look for in the field of 25 includes Gonzaga, St. Albans, Bethesda Chevy-Chase and James Madison.
- Boys Lightweight 8 - La Salle will compete against 15 other schools for this national title of rowers 150 lbs or lighter. Sam Vecchione, Roman Bond, Paul Melchiorre, Amedeo DeLuca, Rob Moore, Aaron Sosnader, Nicolas Ward, Julian Baseman and Duog MacMaster will compete against national lightweight competition from the likes of St. Joe’s Prep, St. Augustine Prep, Belen Jesuit, Gonzaga and Saratoga Springs.
- Boys Junior 8 – This crew, consisting of Ryan Buchanan, Harry Dittrich, John Razzi, Pat Clark, Zach Smith, Anthony DeNofa, Matt McCool, Shawn Hartzell and Mark Meeks will be racing in one of the most competitive events of the entire regatta. They will be looking to better their 4th place finish from City Champs to bring home a medal ahead of programs like St. Joe’s Prep, Montclair, Ridley College, St. Augustine’s Prep and Chaminade in the field of 49 entries.
- Boys Freshman 8 - The future of La Salle Crew is led by Joseph Fabrizio, Vincent Armetta, Michael Galbally, Drew Senour, Don Furmanski, Jonathon Fus, Kevin Durning, Matthew Cross and Keegan MacMaster. This group has had a successful spring leading up to facing this field of 45 crews. They will have to battle against crews like Christian Brother’s Academy, Ocean City, St. Joe’s Prep, St. Augustine Prep and others to take home a medal in this event.
- Boys Senior 4 - The crew of Billy Muehlberger, Shane McDevitt, Peter Collins, TJ Nowak and Mason Comtois will face the 2nd largest field of any La Salle crew entered. The competition from the 56 entries will push everyone to put their best on the water.
- Boys Lightweight 4 - Justin Senyk, John Hamilton, Justin Cross, AJ Barker and Joe Treacy take the water in this very competitive 4’s race. 36 entries make this yet another challenging group to get through.
- Boys Junior 4 - Rowing up into this event are underclassmen Evan Funchion, Justin Naylor, Braeden Foley, Sam DeLuca and Michael Meyer. They will face the largest group of competitors in the entire regatta - 64. This will be a chance for this crew to show a level of speed that exceeds expectations of a Freshman/Novice group.
For a full race schedule, directions, parking and general spectator information, please visit the Stotesbury Cup website.