Recognizing that students come to La Salle with a wide variety of musical backgrounds, the La Salle Music Department offers courses at a variety of levels of musical ability so as to provide an appropriate course of instruction to all.
The beginning or intermediate instrumental musician will participate in the Introductory Music Performance Ensemble or the Intermediate Stage Band, groups designed to give students facility in performing moderately difficult music material. The more advanced musician progresses to participation in Advanced Stage Band or the Honors Advanced Music, more skilled groups dedicated to exploring a variety of musical styles, including jazz and contemporary compositions. Wherever appropriate, students also participate in the La Salle Concert Band, an organization that is given extensive instruction in classical as well as contemporary expression.
Students with interest in studying vocal music may participate in chorus. Chorus classes are available at different skill levels, including freshman, intermediate, beginning upper classmen, and advanced chorus. All performance courses include units in music theory. A strong point of the La Salle Music Program is the incorporation of private instruction into the student’s daily roster. All students are given private instruction by a well-trained core of professional musicians dedicated to the art of developing the vocal and instrumental talents of each student. A student with special music interests may pursue these interests via a series of independently supervised programmed instruction.
- Introductory Music Performance (Freshman Band Elective)
- Instrumental Instruction (Elective)
- Advanced Music Studies (Elective)
- Small Ensembles (Elective)
- R&B, Funk and Latin Concepts (Elective)
- Music Business and Technology (Elective)
- Advanced Music Performance (Stage Band Elective)
- Honors Advanced Music (Elective)
- Freshman Chorus (Elective)
- Chorus (Elective: All Levels)
- Advanced Chorus (Elective: All Levels)
- Independent Chorus (Independent Study, Elective: All Levels)